No. 6 St. Frances Academy, 18-0 No. 10 Buford blanks
The big game between the 14th-ranked Langston Hughes from Fairburn, Georgia, and the 12th-ranked Carrollton from Georgia was as exciting as everyone hoped. Langston Hughes managed to hang on for a 39-34 victory, and the game was shown on ESPN2. In the beginning, Carrollton took a strong lead of 22-6, but then Langston Hughes, who are the defending champions in Class AAAAAA, came back with 27 points in a row. This gave them a 33-22 lead by the middle of the third quarter.
Julian Lewis and his team, the Trojans, made a comeback and scored 12 points in a row. This gave them a lead of 34-33 with a little more than four minutes left in the game. The quarterback, Air Noland, who’s going to Ohio State, threw a 25-yard pass to Jovanni McGee with a bit over a minute remaining. This helped them get a 39-34 lead. The defense of the Panthers stopped Carrollton on the last play of the game, securing their 16th consecutive win.
The best player in the Class of 2024, Dylan Raiola, guided the 10th-ranked Buford team from Georgia to a strong 18-0 victory over the 6th-ranked St. Frances Academy from Baltimore. The defense was really strong throughout the entire game, and the special teams made important plays. Raiola, in his first game with the Wolves, threw two touchdown passes. Tyshun White and KJ Bolden each caught a touchdown pass. Bolden also managed to catch an interception while playing on defense.
The best team, No. 1 Mater Dei from Santa Ana, California, began the season by winning 28-14 against No. 15 Centennial from Corona, California. By the end of the third quarter, Mater Dei was leading 21-0, but Centennial narrowed the gap to 21-14 after Tayten Beyer scored a 55-yard touchdown from an interception, and this happened with a little more than four minutes left in the game. Mater Dei secured their win when Nate Frazier, who is committed to Georgia in 2024, ran for a touchdown from five yards away. This put Mater Dei ahead 28-14 with just over two minutes remaining.
Meanwhile, the 2nd-ranked Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas managed to overcome a 28-21 disadvantage at halftime and went on to comfortably win 63-42 against Corner Canyon from Draper, Utah.
The 3rd-ranked St. John Bosco team from Bellflower, California, defeated Liberty from Henderson, Nevada, with a score of 42-22. The Braves are aiming to become the first team since 2006 (Southlake Carroll from Texas) to win back-to-back MaxPreps National Championships. Next Saturday, they face a tough challenge against No. 9 St. Thomas Aquinas from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
The 4th-ranked IMG Academy from Bradenton, Florida, put an end to the 19-game winning streak of No. 19 Lipscomb Academy from Nashville, Tennessee, with a convincing 35-10 win in the opening game of the 2023 season.
Top 25 teams, only the 16th-ranked St. Edward from Lakewood, Ohio, and the 20th-ranked Colquitt County from Moultrie, Georgia, play on Saturday. St. Edward, the back-to-back Ohio Division 1 state champions, kick-off against Center Grove from Greenwood, Indiana, while the Packers host Dutch Fork from Irmo, South Carolina.
Top 25 National rank today
No.1 Mater Dei vs. Centennial
- In a game between No. 1 Mater Dei from Santa Ana, California, and No. 15 Centennial from Corona, California. Mater Dei won 28-14 on August 18th.
No. 2 Bishop Gorman vs. Corner Canyon
- Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas, Nevada, faced Corner Canyon from Draper, Utah, and secured a 63-42 victory on August 18th.
No. 3 John Bosco vs. Liberty
- St. John Bosco from Bellflower, California, played against Liberty from Henderson, Nevada. St. John Bosco won 42-22 on August 18th.
No. 4 IMG Academy vs. Lipscomb Academy
- IMG Academy from Bradenton, Florida, defeated No. 19 Lipscomb Academy from Nashville, Tennessee, with a score of 35-10 on August 18th.
No.5 Central (Miami)
No.6 St. Frances Academy vs. Buford
- St. Frances Academy from Baltimore went up against No. 10 Buford from Georgia. Buford emerged victorious with an 18-0 win on August 18th.
No. 7 Chaminade-Madonna (Hollywood, Fla.)
No. 8 Duncanville (Texas)
No. 9 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
No. 11 St. Joseph’s Prep (Philadelphia)
No.12 Carrollton vs. Langston Hughes
- In a matchup between No. 12 Carrollton and No. 14 Langston Hughes from Fairburn, Georgia, Langston Hughes won 39-34 on August 18th. The game was televised on ESPN2.
No. 13 North Shore (Houston)
No.16 St. Edward vs. Center Grove
- St. Edward from Lakewood, Ohio, played against Center Grove from Greenwood, Indiana. The game took place on August 19th at noon.
St. Edward – 0-0 12p Center Grove -0-0
No. 17 DeSoto (Texas)
No. 18 Basha (Chandler, Ariz.)
No. 20 Colquitt County vs. Dutch Fork
- Colquitt County from Moultrie, Georgia, faced Dutch Fork from Irmo, South Carolina, on August 19th at 7 p.m. This game was broadcast on FloFootball.
Dutch Fork – 0-0 7p Colquitt County -0-0
No. 21 American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)
No. 23 Columbus (Miami)
No. 24 Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)
No. 25 Belleville (Mich.)